Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Sutro Bath Ruins


Sutro Bath Ruins #2
Originally uploaded by sarahkate.
Hey y'all. Sorry this post is so late. Flickr (my photo share page) was down all night and I just got my pictures from today's adventure loaded. Katey Joy and I went to the Sutro Bath Ruins, which is one of the most amazing things I have seen in my entire life. Once upon a time (in the 1890s) there was an amazing bath house on Ocean Beach. When it opened in1896 it was the largest public bath in the world. It had 7 swimming pools- six salt and one freshwater-500 dressing rooms, and could accomodate 20,000 people at a time. The whole building had a two-acre 100,000-pane glass roof. It closed in 1954 due to lack of patronage, and burned down in 1966. I wish it was still open because it sounds amazing. The ruins are so cool, just the foundations remain, but there are all these huge pipes and grates sticking up out of the cement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home