Monday, November 14, 2005

Warm-Ups


Warm-Ups
Originally uploaded by sarahkate.
Windy City Rollers season Championships! What can I say? It was awesome. Penny Royalty let us in early with the friends and family group, so we got to watch the warm-ups. The first bout between the Manic Attackers and the Hell's Belles was hilarious fun, lotsa fights and silly stunts being pulled. I especially loved it when both teams chased the refs around with whistles. The game ended in a tie 0-0 when the refs disqualified both teams.
At halftime Matt and Kate and I hung out with Penny in the lobby of the Congress. While I was in the bathroom the anouncer called out the names of all the other Leagues who were there to support the WCR, and they named us! Bobbi, Kate and I were the only three there, but they stood up and cheered for us. My sister brought her homegirls, Nandy Cash and The Littlegator who had a smashing good time. Gabe and Gretchen came too, and it was lovely to see them. Beth and her friends didn't sit with us, but we saw them afterwards.
The second bout of the evening was between the Double Crossers and The Fury. I don't think I have ever been more excited in my life! This bout was the polar opposite of the first one, no nonsense. The game was fast and furious and the first half flew by, with the Double crossers in the lead at halftime. I was sitting behing "Mama Needles","Sharon Needles" mother. when Needles hit the floor halfway thru the second half her mom covered her eyes, but Sharon got right back up and continued skating. I tapped her on the shoulder and told her her daughter was tough as nails. She said "Yeah, but Mama's not so tough." Sharon was okay. The second half ended in a 33-33 tie and the refs called for overtime. The last five minutes saw Yhe Fury score five more points and The Double Crossers three. The Ivy King cup went to The Fury, and I jumped up and down like a fool. I tend to do that.
After the bout we went to the Liar's Club with many of the girls from the League and got wasted on $1 PBR. Penny and Killy said they'd come to St. Louis to help us get the league going, and everyone we talked to was offering help and encouragement for the Arch Rival Rollergirls. Kate, Beth Matt and I stumbled back to Annie's house, after a brief stop at El Presidente for late nite mexican food. I don't even remember what I ate, and for those of you who know what a foodie I am, that's HUGE. I had a blast, and I can't wait until all the WCR girls come down for our bouts. I love Roller Derby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home