Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Restless Cleaning

So I've heard of this phenomenon called nesting. It is apparently something most pregnant women go through. It usually involves cleaning the home, getting ready for the baby. I think I have some symptoms.
Those of you who have been to my place know I am not the most fastidious of housekeepers. I am being really generous with myself here. I'm messy. Not dirty, mind you, but messy. I don't mind clutter or dust, and I tend to have a lot of stacks of things lying around. I am not, however, one of those people who never takes out the garbage, or leaves half-eaten food things about to encourage the multi-legged to shack up in my living space. I simply enjoy slacking when it comes to the more labor-intensive housecleaning practices, like window washing, floor mopping, and bathtub scouring.
Also, I live with five cats, a dog, a Matt and a turtle. There is a slight pet hair issue, which I do try to keep below the "tumbleweed" stage. We are in the process of rehabing an old house, so there is a plaster dust issue, which I try to keep below the "wash me written on indoor surfaces" stage. Matt is great at laundry and dish cleaning, and between the two of us we manage to keep those two aspects of housework under control. My bathroom is always clean and fresh-smelling.
Recently though, I have felt compelled to dust. As in, with a rag and that orange oily stuff.
Now, we have a lot of wood surfaces in our place, some of them on the splintery side. Most of our woodwork could use a sanding and a coat of varnish, but that hasn't stopped me from dusting it. I've also tackled the floor-to-ceiling bookcases in the livingroom, the windowsills, and today I actually attempted to dust the crevices between the molding around the window on the front door.
This is getting out of hand. I may need an intervention. Please send help, get someone to remove this orange oil scented t-shirt fragment from my grip and remove all the Murphy's oil soap from my house now, before I turn into my grandma Buckles, with the toothbrush, scrubbing the dirt off of the quarter-round along the baseboards.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand what you mean! I was seven months preggers and mobility was limited but that didn't keep me from vacuuming all the time not to mention cleaning every litle dust mote from every horizontal surface. Jim eventually went out and bought a Roomba so I wouldn't have to push a vacuum around. Concessions, concessions.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home