Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What I did on Wednesday.

I have about four posts in the draft form, waiting for me to finish them. This week has been a tornado. I cannot believe how busy I've been. I'll fill in the holes later, I promise.
Now for today. First thing this morning I went upstairs and got to work on the floors. I'm trying to cut down on the dust factor as much as possible before we bring in the insulation. Lovely photo, no? I know you all think I'm trying to copy those floor-scrubber blogs that are so popular these days, but really I wanted to share with you all how shocked I was at the utter amazingness of oil soap. So there you go. Floors.
We made a list yesterday of all the things we need to do before I can move my studio upstairs. There are eleven. It always seems like such a gargantuan task. Anyway, I want to be up there dyeing yarn and sewing things by June.
Okay, here's the exciting part. I went to the County Library Headquarters last night. I know you are all thinking, "But Skate, you never go west of Kirkwood! That's in Frontenac! The County! West County!" Do not fear little readers, I did not break out in hives or implode. Sometimes you have to brave the wastelands of suburbia. Tonight was worth it. I saw the Yarn Harlot! She packed the library. She always does. I cast on a sock in the car on the way there (Matt drove, I'm not that good) and by the time I got to the front of the line to have her new book signed I was ready to turn the heel.
She let me take a picture of my sock with her sock (mine is the purple one in front) and she called Matt a Muggle (non-knitting person). I hope being called a Muggle by the Yarn Harlot is enough to kickstart his need to knit. Matt won't want to be a Muggle for long. She was as sweet and funny in real life as she is in the ether, and I am really glad I went. I met other knitters! I mean, I know a few, but these were my kind of knitters-- the obsessed ones. I even exchanged phone numbers with the girl sitting on the floor in front of me wearing the Noro shrug. I wish her well in the rest of her travels and in the book writing that lies ahead.
Matt and I grabbed dinner at the Bottleworks afterwards and then we headed home. Once we got there I proceeded to find and frog Drew's sock, which I have been working on, half-heartedly, for about six months. I'm giving up. The yarn isn't flexible enough, and I think I lost one of the pink dpns. Also, Matt has the same size feet as Drew, and when he tried the sock on it wouldn't even go over his heel. I have so many other sock yarns to use, I'll just switch out and Drew won't mind. I'd think he'd be happy to get the socks finally.


Anonymous Jenn said...

I get the county heebie-jeebies too! I'm so glad you commented on my blog so that I could find yours! Out of 183 of us there must be loads, but I've only known about a couple others. I really like what I've read so far, and your pictures are very interesting (especially the easter eggs). Your house looks like it will be gorgeous when it's done.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Timotab said...

so glad you joined us last night and had a great time!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Hi -- following Tim's links to other St. Louis knitbloggers. Funny, I try not to go west of Kirkwood too...and where the heck is the South Side petting zoo? I'm looking forward to poking around in your blog.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home