Monday, May 08, 2006

gobsmacked


I learned a great lesson today. When you feel like the world is no longer a place you can understand or continue to live in, spend some time with someone who's perspective is completely different than yours. It is humbling.
I came home last night from the roller derby league meeting in pieces. I was emotionally damaged and totally drained. I had no idea of how the meeting went, even though I was there, running the show, the entire time. I felt disjointed and slightly bleary. I slept.
Toni called early this morning with news that Alan had a stomach bug and I offered to take Helen off her hands. Spending the day with a six year old was apparently exactly what I needed. Helen's take on everything, from how many hair clips I need to wear at once, to her understanding of how temperature affects the liquid state of water, to her steadfast belief that no one should ever eat an olive, made me think about everything that I know to be true. I am amazed that a six year old could pull me up when I was about to drown in my own head. I owe her, and I owe her big time. We just ran errands and did some shopping, but it helped. She came to derby practice and got some autographs from the girls. We sang with the windows down all the way home. I feed her noodles, dangled from above and taught her how to slurp like an anteater. We laughed until we fell off our chairs. I feel better. I am still sad, but I am not desperate anymore.
I am glad I know Helen. She is an amazing person, and I love her.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that kid was supercute. i am glad she cheered you up. sometimes it takes something simple....

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other people's children can lift you up when nothing else will. It's amazing and I'm glad Helen helped you.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home