Monday, May 30, 2005

Bon Voyage Katie!

I went to Katie's going-away fiesta at Casa del Clancy tonight. Sue and Denny threw her an excellent party, all the St. Louis glitterati were in attendance. By glitterati I mean my folks and my in-laws of course. Mom had on a striking summer ensemble of melon colored t-shirt with matching butterfly flip-flops and her trademark abalone neclace. Dad was sporty in a polo, Maureen went for casual chic in a red tee and sandals. Carl is the most daring of the lot, that beard of his screams ZZ Top, but in a very hip way. I love my family.
Denny got this great idea to turn the old swimming pool in the yard into the "Sow's Ear Lounge" (as in " you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear) and enlisted Zach for help. They cleared out the wild prarie grass experiment that was the former function of the pool and spread gravel in the bottom. They then installed a medium sized Hoosier Hot-tub, an umbrella table, a 70s floral print glider, several lawn flamingos and a plastic palm tree from Big Lots. Sue threw up some christmas lights and voila! instant cabana-style backyard getaway. I was so impressed.
The party was a ton of laughs, and was going strong when I left at midnight. Katie leaves on Thursday. I hate to see her go, but I know spending this summer in New York will be an experience she will remember for the rest of her life. It will be a slightly more boring summer without her around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home